An elegant estate in the heart of the Cheshire, Mottram Hall is the ideal countryside escape, for those looking for a change of pace from the hustle and bustle of modern life. Front and centre at the end of a long tree-lined drive, our Georgian manor house makes a striking impression. Surrounded by outstanding natural beauty and home to the UK’s first Alfresco ThermoSpace spa, an 18-hole Championship golf course, private lake and sprawling rose gardens; we’re a hotel that makes the most of its idyllic woodland setting. Popular for special occasions and wedding ceremonies, our country house good looks are matched by an old world charm that has spanned centuries. Steeped in local history, the Mottram Hall story is one of more than 300 years.
The original Mottram estate was first established in 1310 by Adam de Mottram. In 1650, Nathaniel Booth, fourth son of William Booth of the Dunham Massey estate, bought it and lived in the timber framed Old Hall, which is now a private house that stands back from the drive about halfway down. In 1721, Nathaniel's 3rd son (also named Nathaniel) chose to build himself and his wife a manor house on the estate and named it Mottram Hall. The fine red brick mansion with stone facings was built strictly to Nathaniel's instruction. The Latin at the front of the Main Hall translates to 'Unless the Lord built the House, it is laboured in vain.' In 1738 the hall was bought by William Wright, who was a wealthy landowner from Offerton –Stockport and and it remained in the Wright Family until 1914, before being bought and converted into a Hotel in 1940.
Today, The Hall is a listed building and a fine example of architecture of the period. The ornate ceilings in Mottram’s main hall and other public rooms are now classed as works of national importance. The conversion to a hotel in 1940 necessitated many repairs, renovations and restorations, and a great deal of care was taken to preserve the Adam ceilings and the 12th Century wood panelling, taken from the original Old Hall.