Steeped in local history and one of Cheshire’s finest hotels, Mottram Hall’s story is more than 300 years old.
The original Mottram estate was first established in 1310 by Adam de Mottram. In 1650, Nathaniel Booth, fourth son of William Booth of the Dunham Massey estate, bought it and lived in the timber framed Old Hall, which is now a private house that stands back from the drive about halfway down. In 1721, Nathaniel's 3rd son (also named Nathaniel) chose to build himself and his wife a manor house on the estate and named it Mottram Hall. The fine red brick mansion with stone facings was built strictly to Nathaniel's instruction. The Latin at the front of the Main Hall translates to 'Unless the Lord built the House, it is laboured in vain.' In 1738 the hall was bought by William Wright, who was a wealthy landowner from Offerton - Stockport and it remained in the Wright Family until 1914, before being bought and converted into a Hotel in 1940.
Today, The Hall is a listed building and a fine example of architecture of the period. The ornate ceilings in Mottram’s main hall and other public rooms are now classed as works of national importance. The conversion to a hotel in 1940 necessitated many repairs, renovations and restorations, and a great deal of care was taken to preserve the Adam ceilings and the 12th Century wood panelling, taken from the original Old Hall.